Kiki Kiwi & Friends Litter Less Programme aims to educate children about the importance of putting their rubbish in the bin.
The programme from Keep NZ Beautiful centres around the storybook Kiki Kiwi & Friends – The Travelling Trash. It includes lesson plans, interactive worksheets and lots of resources that educate students on the impact litter has on our environment and teaches them the importance of ‘Doing The Right Thing’.
Aimed at Years 1 - 7, this programme has been developed in line with the New Zealand school curriculum and in 2018 every primary school in New Zealand received a copy of the programme.
Click on the link provided above to start exploring the resources and to download lessons and activity sheets.
The Kiki Kiwi Litter Less Programme is split in to three themes, six inquiry questions and delivered over 12 lessons as outlined below:
Theme 1: Defining litter
- Inquiry question 1: What is litter?
- Inquiry question 2: How and why do people litter?
Theme 2: Understanding litter
- Inquiry question 3: How does litter move, and where to?
- Inquiry question 4: How does litter break down?
- Inquiry question 5: What does litter look like in our school community?
Theme 3: Actioning
- Inquiry question 6: How do we create a litter-free school?