This PLD from Education Outdoors NZ (EONZ) offers guidance and suggested teaching and learning approaches for schools wishing to provide quality camp learning experiences for their students.
Information from EONZ about this PLD:
Our popular ‘Revisioning School Camps’ (RSC) and ‘DIY Camping’ (DIY) PLD have now been rolled into one PLD package. This means that when you register for the Revisioning School Camp PLD package, you are registering for both the RSC and DIY workshops. As part of this package, you will also receive up to 9 months of post-workshop support to help you implement the ideas and practices learned during the PLD.
In each location, the workshops will be delivered in close succession (typically between 1 day to 3 weeks apart). To make the most of this PLD, we recommend you register for the PLD package with at least one other staff member from your school (preferably including one senior leader).
This PLD package is designed to support schools to deliver localised, place-responsive and student-centred school camp experiences. The PLD:
· is applicable to all curriculum areas and levels (primary through to secondary)
· is perfect for educators who want to develop their knowledge of localised curriculum and how EOTC can support the Aotearoa New Zealand Histories curriculum.
· provides guidance and suggested teaching and learning approaches for schools wishing to offer quality camp learning experiences for their ākonga
· Involves a two separate 1-day workshops followed by ONGOING ACTIVE SUPPORT over nine months to assist teachers to implement changes in their practice
· The Re-visioning School Camps, a Teaching and Learning Resource underpins the PLD
· Has been made free to participating schools through the Ministry of Education Networks of Expertise funding.
Workshop 1 - Revisioning School Camps - 11th May 2023
During this workshop you will learn about four important concepts that will help your school to develop localised, place-responsive, and student-centred school camps. These concepts are also applicable to your wider school vision for EOTC, local curriculum, and learning programmes.
You will also review your current school camps, consider the parameters that your revisioned camps must work within, and develop a vision for what your camps will look like moving forward. You’ll have access to a wide range of resources to support you in this mahi.
Workshop 2 - DIY Camping - 2nd June 2023
This second workshop brings the ideas shared in the first workshop to life. You will explore a range of simple planning tools, and participate in impactful and learning-rich camp activities. The activities you experience can be adapted for a range of camp settings, age groups and learning contexts.
Our aim is for you to walk away feeling more confident to navigate the challenges you face in planning/delivering school camp, and more able to provide (non-technical) learning-rich camp experiences yourself (or with the support of your staff/community).